Fortunately, outdoor life is not always sunshine and warm weather. It can be both cold and wet. That’s why it is important to spoil yourself when you are on the go.
Apple soup with roasted oats
by Naturkok Sander Blohm
This apple soup can serve as a warm treat after a wet day of canoeing. It can be the thing that warms you up before crawling into your sleeping bag, for a good night’s sleep.
Most of the ingredients are essentials when I go on my “expeditions” and the variations are endless.
- 1½ cup of oats
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 apples
- A sprinkle of sugar
- A splash of water
- oats, bread crumbs or cornflour
- Lemon juice
- Warm the sugar in a pot until it bubbles up and turns brown. Then add the butter and oats.
- When all is well-roasted sprinkle with cinnamon then remove the pot from the heat and pour the roasted oats in a bowl.
- Grate the apple with a peeler and boil in water with sugar until the apple is tender.
- Add some oats, cornflour or bread crumbs to thicken the soup.
- Add lemon juice for taste and serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of the roasted oats.
- You can replace the apple with fresh blueberries if in Sweden during season.
- A splash of thick cream will serve the apple soup well– but the dish will do just fine without.