Breakfast on tour should be easy, nourishing and fill you up for a long while. Not to mention be tasteful… Morning porridge is undoubtedly the king of breakfast, but who says you can’t challenge tradition?
Morning Porridge with cardamom, fried pumpkin seeds, and fruit
by Naturkok Sander Blohm
The idea for this porridge started with adding in the leftovers from last night’s dinner in my breakfast porridge. Over time these ideas have developed. I have found that it’s well worth to try out various grains to find the perfect porridge. Make your mix from home with several types of grain sorts as well as oats, that will create a more complex taste experience.
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 cups of rice flakes
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- A bit of salt
- Sugar (if desired)
- 4-5 cups of water
- 2 tbs. butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dried fruit – raisins, cherries, cranberry etc.
- Heat the butter in a pot until melted. Add pumpkin seeds and dried fruit until the juices are slightly caramelized.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and put it aside.
- Oats, rice flakes, and cardamom are cooked into a thick porridge with water in the pot
- Salt and sugar are added if you prefer a sweet porridge.
- Serve with dried fruits and pumpkin seeds and perhaps slices of apple.
The butter/fruit/seed mix can be prepared from home since the sugar and fat help to preserve it.