After your trip

I have a problem with my Robens product?

To ensure an efficient service and to follow the legalities imposed by consumer laws in the 40-plus countries that we supply we refer campers back to our dealers as they are responsible to you as their customer. Our dealers can advise and expedite warranty claims, as well as having the necessary forms needed to order spares or repairs.

Do you have an official repair centre?

Although we do not have an official repair centre we recommend

Does your warranty cover poles?

We cover poles except broken poles which are the result of accident or improper handling.

Can I get insurance for my tent?

You can get insurance for your tent and we would suggest contacting The Caravan and Camping Club in the UK, if you are a UK resident.

I have a broken part, where can I get a replacement?

If you have a broken part on your tent you must contact the dealer where you purchased the tent from. They will be able to obtain any replacement parts needed.

Alternatively,you can contact who might be able to help you source the replacement part.