Apple Soup with Roasted Oats
by Naturkok Sander Blohm
This apple soup can serve as a warm treat after a wet day of canoeing. It can be the thing that warms you up before crawling into your sleeping bag, for a good night’s sleep. Most of the ingredients are essentials when I go on my “expeditions” and the variations are endless.
1½ cup of oats
2 tablespoons of sugar
a sprinkle of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of butter
A sprinkle of sugar
A splash of water
oats, bread crumbs or cornflour
- Warm the sugar in a pot until it bubbles up and turns brown. Then add the butter and oats.
- When all is well-roasted sprinkle with cinnamon then remove the pot from the heat and pour the roasted oats in a bowl.
- Grate the apple with a peeler and boil in water with sugar until the apple is tender.
- Add some oats, cornflour or bread crumbs to thicken the soup.
- Add lemon juice for taste and serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of the roasted oats.
- You can replace the apple with fresh blueberries if in Sweden during season.
- A splash of thick cream will serve the apple soup well– but the dish will do just fine without.