Beans for Breakfast
By Naturkok Sander Blom
A quick breakfast that makes you feel full, gives warmth and has a fantastic taste.
The list of ingredients may seem long taking the outdoor life into consideration, but onions, sugar, salt, garlic, mustard and fish sauce is, in my opinion, necessities in the kitchen. The water mint can be found in nature or left out.
A little fat (butter, oil or bacon fat)
2 tsp. sugar
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 large tablespoon of mustard
400g of pureed tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans
Water mint (can be left out)
Fried eggs and bread – and if desired a bit of bacon
- Finely chop the onions and brown them in fat in a good iron pot. Add the sugar and warm to caramelize the onions.
- Add finely chopped garlic, smoked paprika and the chili flakes (add lots so the dish is not only fast but also furious). Warm the spices and add the mustard and pureed tomatoes.
- Let the pot boil up.
- Rinse the beans and add them to the pot. Cover with the lid and cook thoroughly.
- Add salt and fish sauce after own taste and serve the beans with chopped water mint and sorrel.
- Fried eggs and toasted bread goes along as a great companion and perhaps some fried bacon on the side.