Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary
By Naturkok Sander Blom
1 fresh chicken
Fresh rosemary and thyme
Slat and pepper
- Loosen the skin of the chicken and put butter, salt and herbs between the meat and the skin. Be careful that the skin doesn’t burst as all the juices will then run out during frying.
- Rub salt and lemon juice on the outside of the skin.
- Stuff the chicken with the used lemon peels and the halved garlic.
- If possible, it is recommended that you truss the chicken - it can, however, do without.
- The chicken is now ready to fry in the Dutch oven. Start with the breast side and end on the backside of the chicken.
- Put a lid on your Dutch oven and place coal from the fire on the lid.
- Remember to pull the Dutch oven away to reduce bottom heat and stop frying. Instead, we now want to bake the chicken. Do so for approx. 45 minutes or till it is well done.
- Let the chicken rest while the juices in the Dutch oven settle.
- While the chicken is baking, you can peel and wash your potatoes. Cut them into cubes - approx. 2x2 cm, and fry them crispy in fat. Add salt.
- Toasted bread is a great alternative to potatoes. Dip bread in the juices from the chicken to get the full flavor.