Our Outback, TC Adventure and AirVenture tents are made from HydroTex® Polycotton and HydroTex® Polycotton RS – a fabric created for Robens to capture that retro feel while providing the enhanced performance expected by the modern outdoor adventurer looking for group and family tents that reflect their life choice.
HydroTex Polycotton and HydroTex® Polycotton RS offers several key benefits that suit bushcraft-style and glamping outdoor life. These include:
- Breathable and moisture absorbent properties that eliminate condensation.
- It creates the ideal stable microclimate – cooler than synthetic in hot weather and warmer when outside temperatures fall.
- Noise free – the heavy fabric reduces flapping in the wind.
- Emotive and comforting feel and smell for an enhanced outdoor experience.
- UV and heat resistance means…
- Long lifespan.
However, the initial cost of a polycotton tent is generally more expensive than a synthetic, but this is balanced by longer life expectancy.
It must also be remembered that polycotton keeps out water through the natural fibres swelling when wet to fill the small holes found between the yarns of a weave. It is a totally different process than a synthetic – hence no hydrostatic head rating. Campers need to understand the process and how to maintain it through correct use and care.
Preparation, maintenance and storage must be considered. Polycotton is a bulky material which requires space for storage, transportation and maintenance. Its weight can also be an issue when pitching and when handling during maintenance.